The PMBOK – Project Management Body of Knowledge – guide 6th edition was release in September 2017.
Also, PMP – Project Management Professional – certification exam format was modified(updated) by 26th of March 2018.
No surprise, knowledge areas are changed a little bit. Book got bigger and heavier, summing up at 978 pages document in total.
Even though, PMP exam will not test your knowledge of PMBOK, but it is the primary source of preparation.
Please note, the PMP exam certification content outline will not be changed(you can find the link below).
What is changing exactly?
Before that, let me shortly explain why changes are need it. All-in-all, to provide consistency of terminologies and harmonizing process groups.
- A new chapter on the role of the project manager that focuses on effective leadership — including necessary competencies, experience and skills
- Two renamed Knowledge Areas that more accurately reflect which elements can be managed and which cannot:
- Schedule Management (formerly known as Time Management)
- Resource Management (formerly known as Human Resource Management)
- Every Knowledge Area now features four new sections:
- Key Concepts
- Trends and Emerging Practices
- Tailoring Considerations
- Considerations for Agile/Adaptive Environments